Download & Installation
How do I download & install Astute Review?
- Astute Review can be downloaded and installed at any time by clicking on the Download link in the navigation bar above. Running Astute Review requires either a 15-Day Free Trial license (No credit card needed!) or a Monthly/Annual license in order to use.
- Before installing, close PowerPoint.
- The product is downloaded as a .zip folder, right-click and select unzip to unzip the folder and double click on the Setup icon
- An installer welcome pop-up window will appear. Click Next to move to the confirmation page and click Next to move to the licensing page. Accept the terms of the End-User License Agreement and click Next.
- Depending on the security settings of your computer, a pop-up window may appear asking “Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?” Click Yes (Note, our software is safe and secure. Please visit the Security section of the FAQs page if you have any questions regarding security).
- You will receive a message that installation is complete. Click Close in the pop-up.
After installing, I do not see Astute Review in my PowerPoint Toolbar, what do I do?
Astute Review should automatically appear as a tab in your PowerPoint toolbar after installation. If for some reason the software is not appearing, follow the below steps:
- You may have installed Astute Review with PowerPoint open. Close all programs, restart your computer and reopen PowerPoint. If the Astute Review toolbar still does not appear, continue to the next steps.
- Open PowerPoint go to File > Options > Add-ins > Manage select COM Add-ins and click GO. Select Astute and click Add.
- If Astute is not present within the COM Add-ins, make sure Astute Review is installed on your computer. Search System Settings in your start bar and go to Add / Remove Programs to make sure Astute Review is installed on your computer. If not, visit www.astutereview.com and download the software
- If you are still having trouble, you can reach us at [email protected] or (800) 307-9065 ext. 2 and we would be happy to help troubleshoot the installation process
I use other plug-ins for PowerPoint, will Astute Review interfere with other plug-ins?
No, Astute Review will be able to operate independently and not interfere with other PowerPoint plug-ins.
Does your software support ghosting?
Yes, our user licenses support ghosting for corporate accounts. If you are interested in obtaining a corporate license, please contact [email protected]
Licenses & Activation
Do I need a license to use Astute Review?
Yes. While Astute Review can be downloaded and installed at any time by clicking on the Download link in the navigation above, it requires either a 15-Day Free Trial license (No credit card needed!) or a Monthly/Annual license
in order to use.
To obtain either a 15-Day Free Trial license or a Monthly/Annual license click on Licensing in the main navigation, select your desired license type and follow the checkout process. Once you’ve completed the checkout process a license will be emailed to you.
How do I obtain and activate an Astute Review license?
To obtain either a 15-Day Free Trial license or a Monthly/Annual license, click on Licensing in the main navigation bar, select your desired license type and follow the checkout process. Once you’ve completed the checkout process a license will be emailed to you. If the an email from Astute Review does not appear within a few minutes, check your Junk/Spam folder.
To activate Astute Review, make sure the software is installed. See the Download & Installation section if you have any questions downloading the software.
We offer both online and offline activation options, although on-line activation requires less steps.
- Online Activation: Open PowerPoint. A pop-up window should appear prompting you to enter a license key to activate. Enter your license key and click Activate
- Offline Activation: In order to activate Astute Review offline, you will need internet access to obtain a computer key. Visit www.astutereview.com/offlineactivation when you have internet access or via your smartphone and follow the steps on the site to obtain your computer key (note: a computer key is different than your license key).Once you obtain your computer key, open PowerPoint without internet access. A pop-up window should appear prompting you to enter a license key to activate and click Cancel.If you attempt to enter your license key in the activation pop-up and click Activate, a warning will appear instructing you on how to activate offline. Cancel out of the Activation pop-up.Click on the Astute Review Tab in the toolbar and select About in the right side of the toolbar and click Offline Activation. Enter your license key in the Activation section and enter your computer key in the Computer Key section. Note, the Computer Identifier section should already be filled out. Click Activate.
Can I try out Astute Review before I purchase it?
Will I be billed after my free trial expires?
No, payment information is not required to get a 15-Day Free Trial license.
Is the trial version of Astute Review different than the paid version?
No, you will be able to experience everything our product has to offer during your free trial.
Can I get an extended Free Trial?
Yes, trials may be extended for potential enterprise and multi-license customers at our discretion. Email us at [email protected] to request an extension.
Can I purchase multiple licenses for myself or colleagues/employees?
Yes, a license for multiple users can be purchased at check-out. One license code will be generated but it can be used across multiple users, equal to the quantity purchased. If you have questions regarding group/multi-user licenses, please contact us at [email protected] or (800) 307-9065 ext. 1.
I already have a license that includes multiple users and would like to add additional users, is it possible for me to add additional users to my current license?
Yes, please contact us at [email protected] or call (800) 307-9065 ext. 1 to add additional users to an existing license.
I lost or never received my license, what do I do?
Please check your Junk/Spam folder in case the email containing your license got delivered there instead of your inbox. If so, make sure to mark the email as Not Junk/Spam, which will allow future messages to get through.
Additionally, you can submit a request to have your license resent to you by going to Licensing > Existing User and entering the email address associated with the account in the input field on the page and we will resend your user license. (Note – If you have purchased a multi-user license please enter the email address that is associated with the purchase.)
If you still cannot find your license, please email us at [email protected] and we will resend your user license.
Do I need Internet access to use Astute Review?
Network/Internet access is only required for activation, but offline activations are available if necessary. See above within the Licensing & Activation section in the FAQs page.
System Requirements & Security
What versions of PowerPoint are compatible with Astute Review?
Astute Review is compatible with the 2013, 2016, 2019 and Office 365 Windows versions of PowerPoint.
How do I check what version of PowerPoint I have?
Open PowerPoint go to File > Account > Product Information.
The version of Microsoft Office installed on your computer will be displayed below the Product Information heading
My company requires IT approval before downloading any software on my computer, how do I get Astute Review?
We have made the installation process of Astute Review extremely user friendly. The installation process is short, so where IT support is needed for installation, their time per ticket is low.
If further information is needed for approval, please contact us at [email protected] and provide a brief overview of the situation.
What is Astute Review doing with my data?
At Astute Review we pride ourselves on document security and understand the need to keep sensitive data in the hands of the user. Presentations are analyzed locally on the user’s computer, not using a remote server.
I have other security concerns, is there someone I can speak with at your company?
Yes, please contact us at [email protected] or (800) 307-9065 ext. 2 and provide us a brief description of your question. We will respond as soon as possible.
Other than the initial activation what other processes require online access?
Online access is not required to use Astute Review. Our software also offers users the ability to activate the software offline if needed. Our license server is available at https://qlm1.net/astutereview/ and may be allowed or disallowed as your company would like. If disallowed, offline activation may be used.
What data is sent outside of the local machine?
Astute Review does not send any data outside the local machine. Presentations are analyzed locally on the user’s computer, not on a remote server. Our application does not use any networked resources to analyze the presentation. All information necessary to perform a review is contained in the application itself. Reviews may be performed even while offline.
Do you have a high level diagram or document that explains your SDLC processes?
We follow a standard SDLC: Requirements, Development, Testing, and Deployment. Our deployments are not automated.
What kind of security scans do you perform on your software?
Outside of our product development testing, we do not perform any additional security scans on our software.
How often do you issue updates?
We will update the software periodically when improvements are made to the tool. We do not have a predefined schedule for updates, but are continuously working on improving our product. Currently we do not have any plans to issue an update. Updates are issued through notifications to customers, and require their action to update. Upgrades do not occur automatically.
How are users notified of these updates?
We will notify users via email when an update is made available and provide a link to download the updated version. Updates will not be automatically installed on the users computer.
How are updates installed?
Updates can be installed manually by either (i) each individual user or (ii) can be deployed at an enterprise level though a company’s IT department. Administrative access is necessary to install an update.